So last week I had a little quarrel with one of my professors. I have an art history class. From the first day, I could already tell that I will not like it. The entire class is too left winged for my liking (I'm independent.) The teacher thinks anything that doesn't "accurately" portray any group of people is automatically racist. There's a specific student that always makes unnecessary jokes or comments or questions that I find extremely irritable. She always has a rebuttal for the way I interpret a piece of art, EVEN THOUGH ART IS COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE. And just the subject, in general, is completely useless to me. It's a required class for art majors, and it teaches information I will never use (or even want to use) in the real world. So to the problem at hand: In one of my assignments where we read an article, write about it, and in the end have the OPTION to write what we think about the article;  I aApparently said some things that rubbed the professor the wrong way. 

I said:


"I agree with the author that many of us have a skewed view or idea of Muslims and Muslim countries that persists today, myself included. What I know only comes from media, news, and the internet. The only way I would truly know is if I visited the countries myself, though I believe I would not be welcomed because I am sure they have skewed ideas of Americans themselves. It is part of the human condition to have narrow views of a group of people because our brain takes in a lot of information and must organize it the way it sees fit. One thing I know for certain is that many Muslims believe and follow the Sharia Law. A law that treats women as second-class citizens. Under Sharia law, wives can be beaten (Q 4:34); the testimony of a woman is only worth half of a man’s (Q 2:282); Pedophilia is acceptable (Q 65;4); rape is permissible (Q 4:24); etc. Though I do not know the extent to which any of this information is practiced, it is enough information for me to form a sound opinion about the religion itself and of those who defend its practices."

In another article assignment, I said in a mostly joking manner (that she took seriously):

"This article is the worst thing I have partly read. I don’t know how I can read something multiple times and still not understand it. Maybe it’s because the author flings out big unnecessary words. I hardly know the meaning of the word cosmopolitanism, I can only assume it’s the belief of a shared morality between all people. I know this is impossible because people are inherently different. Culture and society plays a huge role in that. And different societies are inherently different from each other with a different set of beliefs and values.  I don’t need a 15 page article to explain these ideas to me, just someone who knows laymen’s terms. This article has failed to teach me anything. I will happily take the  low grade for this one-sided assignment. God help me if this is what college is."

I was just being honest! anyway
She sent me this EMAIL saying:

"Dear Jace,
I hope you're doing well. After reading your paper comments, I think it's best that we schedule a meeting about the course. Although it's great to play devil's advocate and disagree with articles, I think the situation could be deeper than that. I see that you are an art major, so you're going to have many more classes with me, and if you are feeling disgruntled, there's a long, long road ahead of both of us. We need to find a common ground or be on the same page, because the entire semester (and future classes) cannot function in this manner.
Please let me know your availability.
Best Wishes and have a nice day,
SGS"

I replied with: 

"Dear Ms. (teacher's name),
I appreciate your concern for my well being but with all due respect, I do not feel a meeting is necessary. I express myself better through email, so emotion doesn't cloud the logical sides of conversations as it often happens when I'm lectured like a child for saying something not very nice. Whatever you need to tell me can be said through email. I know my views and opinions are not everyone's cup of tea, but I am under no obligation to be politically correct so I do not feel the need to apologize (if it's an apology or sign of remorse that you're looking for or anything of the sort) because I do not hold your views. If you or anyone else finds my thoughts or comments offensive, I am still under no obligation to retract my comments or to apologize. It's my own image and reputation that is on the line and I am prepared for any repercussions you have in store for me. If my comments are rubbing you the wrong way then I can keep my thoughts and opinions to myself to alleviate the symptoms of a nonexistent disease you see deep inside me, so long as it doesn't affect my grade. 
As for the academic part of my optional final thoughts; it is my own responsibility to study or seek help if I find a certain article difficult to read or follow."


I'll admit I came off a little aggressive and defensive but my point still remains the same. Her email was unnecessary. I solemnly believe people should be allowed to have their own opinions and be able to voice those opinions no matter what. I refused to be censored and I will stand up for what I believe in no matter the cost. The teacher has yet to reply so the issue is resolved for as far as I know.






Comments

  1. Sorry to hear your Art class is not going well. As a third party, and one not interested in taking sides, you may want to take the instructor up on a face to face visit. While writing can be a fantastic form for clearly articulating and organizing your thoughts, it can be problematic when trying to convey emotions especially when being nuanced and expressing things in "a joking manner" or when being sarcastic.

    You are a crafty writer Jace, what you have shared is particularly well written.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Archetypal story of the friend girl and boy

The Hero's Journey

Last Blog