Social/Political Art


I hate Social/Political art. In Printmaking we were given the task to make a piece concerning society and politics. Everyone else was making cliche themes and ideas for their pieces. Of course being the problematic person I am, I wanted to make something a little different than whats expected. I wanted to depict two women castrating a man to symbolize the decline of masculinity and manhood in today's society partly do because of the SJW and modern feminist agenda. When the professor came around to look at my sketches, he said I should be prepared to have a discussion with the class about my piece. Also, the professor's assistant, who I have a little crush on, happens to be the president of the feminist club so now she hates me a little bit. The idea turned me off, everyone's pretty set on who they are and what they believe in. I don't care enough about the topic to do it any justice. My artwork is not gonna add anything new to the conversation. As a matter of fact, it will just cause anger and division. So it got me thinking, what does good social/political art look like? How can I make a good piece of artwork for this subject? I did some research, meaning a quick search in google images, and I came to the conclusion that I hate social/political art.

A lot of the art is cliche and pretentious. It's just the same ideas over and over again. Pretentious because let's face it, most modern art is pretentious. It doesn't seem genuine and it takes itself too seriously.
It's an exaggeration of the problem at hand, it divides a crowd, and it creates more problems than it intends to solve. When an artist exaggerates an issue, you get the idea, but something is lost along the way. I don't see a solution being made. I'm tired of being made aware of issues that don't concern me. Why should I care? Social/political art is just a catalyst for one's own projected beliefs. Much of it is self-serving.
It's not as personal as a photograph of a dying child. With film and photography, there's no middleman, it shows instead of tells. Social/political art is not as powerful as film, photography, and literature. Of course there are many exceptions. Banksy conveys ideas in a very simple, creative, and aesthetically pleasing way whom also seems to be self-aware of the bizarre nature of contemporary art. Art Spiegelman's "Maus" is a good example too.

I love art for its style, aesthetics, and storytelling. I'm finding it hard to do these things with the condition that it has to be social/political.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Archetypal story of the friend girl and boy

The Hero's Journey

Last Blog